Hi, I'm Rudi, i'm 8 years old and my favourite book is 'Tarka the Otter' by Henry Williamson. Its about the life of an otter named Tarka and British Wildlife. One night i was reading the book with my dad and i said that i wanted to see all the animals in the book, he said i should do it and call it the Tarka Challenge. My Tarka Challenge started on 1st January 2012. The book contains 89 birds, 54 land based animals, 120 plants and 56 aquatic organisms.

The rules are simple, i must either see each thing myself or photograph it using my trail camera. I will try and see each thing on my local patch (Ogmore River Catchment) but may need to look somewhere else in Britain.

Kestrel

Kestrel (Falco tinnunculus)
Slow Worm (Anguis fragilis)

We went over our grandparents for tea, when we got there we saw our first Swallow of the year. When we were eating our tea (corned beef pie) my brother spotted a Kestrel out of the window eating his tea (a Slow-worm). My Grandad took this picture of it.



Slow Worm

Its called a worm and looks like a snake but its actually a legless lizard. They can be between 30-50cm long and like to live in compost heaps. We had two living in our garden last year.

Kestrel

If you see a bird of prey hovering in the sky like a helicopter then its usually a Kestrel. It used to be called Windhover because it was so good at hovering.

No comments:

Post a Comment