Hi, I'm Rudi, i'm 8 years old and my favourite book is 'Tarka the Otter' by Henry Williamson. Its about the life of an otter named Tarka and British Wildlife. One night i was reading the book with my dad and i said that i wanted to see all the animals in the book, he said i should do it and call it the Tarka Challenge. My Tarka Challenge started on 1st January 2012. The book contains 89 birds, 54 land based animals, 120 plants and 56 aquatic organisms.

The rules are simple, i must either see each thing myself or photograph it using my trail camera. I will try and see each thing on my local patch (Ogmore River Catchment) but may need to look somewhere else in Britain.

Little Green Visitors

The last day of my summer holidays and i found this in my garden....





I identified it from my moth book, it is a Caterpillar of an eyed hawk moth, you cant tell from the pictures but it was really big for a Caterpillar.

We went to the beach yesterday and i saw some big fish in a rock pool. Dad didn't believe me first but he saw them and said they were a shoal of little Bass that must have been trapped there by the tide, we tried to catch it but it was too fast. A shoal is the name you use for a group of fish.

When we got home i spotted this little thing on the bush next to our front door. It was so well camouflaged that nobody else could see it until i pointed to it...



I identified this as a Speckled Bush Cricket. I tried to pick it up but it jumped into the grass and i couldn't find it again.

Off the list

Sea Bass (Dicentrarchus labrax)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rudi
    Thank you for sharing. Today we found the same caterpillar as you and identified it thanks to your blog. We now know it's an "Eyed Hawk Caterpillar".
    :-)
    Kind regards,
    CĂ©line and Elise.

    ReplyDelete