Hi, I'm Rudi, i'm 8 years old and my favourite book is 'Tarka the Otter' by Henry Williamson. Its about the life of an otter named Tarka and British Wildlife. One night i was reading the book with my dad and i said that i wanted to see all the animals in the book, he said i should do it and call it the Tarka Challenge. My Tarka Challenge started on 1st January 2012. The book contains 89 birds, 54 land based animals, 120 plants and 56 aquatic organisms.

The rules are simple, i must either see each thing myself or photograph it using my trail camera. I will try and see each thing on my local patch (Ogmore River Catchment) but may need to look somewhere else in Britain.

Llanelli WWT

WE went to Llanelli Wetlands today, run by the WWT (http://www.wwt.org.uk/visit/llanelli/) The sun was shining and we had a really good day.




We didnt see any new stuff from my Tarka list but we did see a new bird, a Black Tailed Godwit (learn more - http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/b/blacktailedgodwit/).



They are waders and have really big bills.

There are lots of hides to watch the wild birds like the Godwit and they have enclosures with different water birds from around the world. You can get really close to the birds and take cool pictures.

Moorhen 


 Tufted Duck
 
 Wigeon

Mandarin Duck 

Mallard 

Nene Goslings 

 Flamingoes (Mums favourite)

A chirpy Robin

Entrance to one of the hides 


We had a nice picnic with jam tarts.


You can even buy food to feed the birds....




I actually had Eider ducks and Shelducks feeding out of my hand (i remebered to wash my hands after) you can see the video here..... http://youtu.be/v6GtDB3Znm4

No comments:

Post a Comment